Thursday, July 21, 2011

Blog Post #7

Blog Post #7 – A Reflection on This Course

Things I've learned... I have definitely learned about the different formats used for writing, such as MLA, and APA, and their differences. Citing using MLA is more confusing for me than using APA. The Citation Machine never matched what the handbook said to do for the MLA format. It seems that even the computers can't get it right (smiley was supposed to go here ;o).

I have also learned more about using educational on-line sources such as ProQuest, and how to search them. I have learned to analyze poetry in ways I had not thought of before, and gained greater insight into analyzing other types of writing as well. I have learned how to give a better critique of other's works – sandwiched between positive observations, to encourage as well as critique. Critiquing others has also caused me to look at my own writing in a different light. I enjoyed reading and evaluating my peer's work, some of them gave amazing insights on our subject matter. The feedback I received was invaluable as well – very detailed, and caused me to look at my work through another's eyes. Plus... I have to admit, the praise was good too.

I am a fairly new college student with a long way to go, so all of these added or enhanced skills should help me in my future classes, especially the analytical skills. If I do decide to become a writer (most likely in the health industry), these skills will be especially beneficial to have. One link that I was surprised not to find on the library data base was “PubMed” (similar to “Medline”, but no sign-on required), or you can just Google “PubMed”.  This link was especially helpful to me last semester. I hope it helps others as well, and because it's free, you can give it to others that do not have access to our library's subscribed sites.

This was a very interesting class using materials that are engaging,
not boring. I chose this ENG102 class based upon two criteria: it was all on-line, and the materials chosen by our instructor to use as the teaching tools were not the stuffy old text books. The poetry section was a surprise, but was especially enlightening. My eyes have been opened, and I will never look at poetry the same again. I never looked that deep into it before to find the hidden meanings. When we read certain sections of O'Brien's book (like the animal abuse part), and Huze's play (eating lunch while watching an enemy soldier suffer and die), I became very upset, and wondered if I had made a mistake in my choice of classes. I continued on, and am glad I did. The rest of the readings were still not pleasant – war never is, but the stories were not as gut wrenching, and the overall experience made me more understanding of the problems our Vets return with. Whether our Vets became Vets voluntarily, or otherwise, they deserve our support and respect. Now days, our troops that serve willingly deserve it even more. God bless them!



So far, I have meet the learning outcomes for this class, and I hope I don't botch that up when it comes down to the final week. My writing style has changed a bit – more streamlined, and easier to follow (I hope). I really struggled with the thesis on our final paper, but with the revisions based on Laura's suggestions, I've improved.  I know I may need a little more work in this area, but I have received some good advice, and I will continue to work on it in the future.  This skill will be helpful in my future writing projects, especially in the nursing and science fields. 

All in all, this was a very good class. I am surprised at how many people fell behind, but this was my only summer school class. If I had taken additional classes, with home and family... it would have been too much. I would recommend this class to anyone that is looking for an interesting and engaging ENG102 class... as long as they can handle the war stories. It was definitely not boring.

Smiley Face Image Source: "ss35450qf7.jpg."
Clip Art For Free. Web. 21 Jul 2011.
      www.clipart-for-free.blogspot.com

3 comments:

  1. I loved that we were able to use the citation machine for this class!I have always struggled coming up with the correct citations in the past, the citation machine makes it so much easier. And I completely agree,this class was anything but boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lani H. said:

    I think you have done a great job in this class, Shellie. I not only have found your work very insightful, but I also have found your critiques very helpful. I agree with you that critiquing others is a very helpful way to look at our own work.
    I also found many parts of O’Brien’s work hard to take on a personal level. It is nice to know that I am not the only one who had trouble with those stories. I am so glad that we all just kept going. In the end, I do believe it has all been worth it.
    Have a great rest of the summer. See you around campus this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really agree with the learning about different citations! I honestly did not realize there were so many different styles and ways to do it, I always just used a computer to do them and like you said, even they get it wrong! I also loved the fact that this class didnt use a textbook and liked the materials chosen. The Things They Carried is actually one of my favorite books so that must be why I enjoyed it so much. You have done very well too, your work is insightful and I am also hoping I dont botch it with my final week!

    ReplyDelete