Monday, June 13, 2011

Per this document, Nobokov's believes that being a good reader requires “imagination, memory, a dictionary 

(Click here to check out the website that was dedicated to this author, and his works. )






Image Source:  http://woldhek.nl/image/show/471-vladimir-nabokov-1
 

and some artistic sense”, and is someone who re-reads the material 2, 3 or more times as to get past the physical requirements of reading the text, and really digest and explore the material.  
Yes, I do agree with him for the most part. I feel that if a book is very well written, it will give the reader the desire to re-read it. Not all books warrant a re-read. I think the other four qualities he mentions are ones that make a person a good reader, with imagination being the most important when it comes to fiction. However, I do not have a problem with a person identifying themselves with a character. Sometimes, that's inevitable. I do consider myself a good reader, and used to love to read for fun, but have mostly read non-fiction in most recent years. With little time, fiction is a delicacy I have not savored in a while.

2 comments:

  1. OK... I know this post states Monday, June 13th, but it was done on Sunday. Blackboard shows it as 3 seconds (yes, I said seconds) past midnight. My clocks must be slow - I'm fixing them tonight! Oh well, with recovering from pneumonia, I'm lucky I got it done at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought about whether or not the book or story would warrant a reread, that is a great point! If the reader has no desire to read it in the first place it is unlikely that they will understand, or even finish, the piece. I personally read a lot of fiction books and find myself getting caught up in them, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. However, if I am reading something important for school and get caught up in it without being able to be subjective I can't remember the right facts!

    ReplyDelete